Mounicipal Solid Waste(MSW) Testing
CALC provides collection services including street sweeping,doorstep pickup and transportation in the most efficient way all the way to the processing centre,including the use of transfer stations where necessary.CALC has partnered with multiple municipalities for the reliable collection of waste to keep cities & towns clean and for sustainability of the planet.
Municipal Solid Waste (MSW):- More commonly known as trash or garbage—consists of everyday items we use and then throw away,such as product packaging, grass clippings, furniture, clothing, bottles, food scraps, newspapers, appliances, paint, and batteries.
Municipal solid waste is collected & disposed of by landfill or combustion/incineration.Burning municipal solid waste will reduce its volume by up to 90% and its weight by up to 75%.However,air emissions pose an environmental concern.Many landfills capture methane to use as an energy source.
Solid waste can come from industrial,commercial,mining,or agricultural operations & from household & community activities. Solid waste does not include wastes such as solid or dissolved materials in domestic sewage, or source,special nuclear, or by-product material as defined by federal law.
The characteristics of fresh municipal solid waste (MSW) are critical in planning, designing,operating or upgrading solid waste management systems.Physical composition,moisture content,compacted unit weight,permeability are the most important MSW characteristics to be considered in planning a system.
Types of Collection System
- Refuse Collection Systems - Household waste removed from the home.
- Commercial Waste Collection -Commercial waste removed primarily using dumpsters.
- Recyclable Material Collection - Collection of recyclable materials separated at the source of generation.
Calculate the energy content of solid waste-
- Unit Energy Content=1350800/100=13508KJ/kg.
- Moisture content=(100−87.38/100)∗100=12.62.
- Energy on dry basis=(100∗13508/100−12.62)=15458.91KJ/kg.
- Energy content=(100∗13508/100−5−12.62)=16397.18KJ/kg.